Friday, December 31, 2010

Finding a most valuable pearl

Yesterday, I wrote of Buried Treasure and as I walked by our bookcase, my eyes were drawn to a book I enjoyed several years ago: Buried Treasure: Hidden Wisdom from the Hebrew Language by Rabbi Daniel Lapin; I highly recommend it.  Hidden treasure is all around us and I hope you discover some today.


Jewels and pearls are found around the world.  In January, I found a most beautiful Madam Butterfly pearl strand in Singapore that would look lovely on my wife.  Its nacre in the light gave a irresistible iridescence. 

The same trip took us to Vietnam and to Ha Long bay.  We purchased a ticket to take a junk through thousands of karst and isles to see this UNESCO site and see a fishing village nestled in the core of these vertical rock formations. It is an amazing site to see with almost 2000 unique isles .  During our time on the junk, I purchased a long string of pearls after an even longer negotiation. They looked beautiful on my bride and will forever remind us of this wonderful place.


Now neither of these pearl strands were of great value or cost, but they hold memories that are valued and carried with us.  But Jesus Christ tells a story of another pearl.




Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. Matt 13:45-46

I have never seen a pearl that moved me to such a place as this merchant; to sell everything and to go and buy it.  So my imagination must kick in to place; what about something else that you would sell everything to obtain.  The closest thing on earth I can think of is my wife; I would sell or lose everything that I might have her.  But Jesus says that even more is the Kingdom of Heaven and as hard as it might seem, I know that the Kingdom of Heaven is eternal verses temporal and is of higher value.  Though this might seem like I am placing my wife second, I would expect her to do the same with me (although I may not get such a high rating).  Though we have had over 30 wonderful years together, I know that our life together here on earth may only last another 30 or 40 more years; again, a dot on the time-line of eternity. 


I am of another kingdom, it is one that is now, but not yet.  Christ's birth, life, death and resurrection ushered in the Kingdom of God, but it will not fully realized and made complete until His glorious return.  As the sun rises each morning, it reminds me of the 'eschatological in-breaking' and what lies ahead.  I am Of Another Kingdom and I think of and belong in that Kingdom.




No comments:

Post a Comment