Wednesday, December 29, 2010

And Afterward

It is snowing outside; the ground becoming as white as s....., as white as copy paper?  I find snow so beautiful, especially if it doesn't cause people problems with driving or falling.  The trees look like the flocked Christmas trees that I remember as a child; ones with the color wheel changing it from blue to green, to red to orange.  Unless you had one or saw one growing up, you would never believe what we did to color our tree. (found the low tech at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEKh0chg7eU )

The snowflakes drop and swirl around as they come to rest on the ground; each like us that have come to live on the earth, unique.  But I am reminded how quickly they melt away, their presence on earth so brief and but a memory.  Such is our lives, we are born and in the scheme of eternity, a small dot on the time-line.  It happens so quickly; one moment you are that child waiting for Christmas to come; the next you are getting AARP cards and wondering how many Christmas eve services you will be able to attend.


We deceive ourselves to think that the earth is without end.  Though there is many disagreeing ideas of the age of the earth and even the source (a topic for somebody else's blog), the reality is our planet is dying, just like our body.  And yet the question remains; will it die suddenly or of old age?


There is an interesting sign that the prophet Joel was given by God that the Apostle Paul in Acts 2:17 also addresses:

"And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions. 

Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days. 
I will show wonders in the heavens
and on the earth, ..." 
Joel 2:28-30

Paul clarifies the phrase "And afterward" to read "In the last days" because at the time Paul used this passage, it was "afterward"; Jesus Christ had come and the whole earth had changed, and was changing.  I do believe we are in the last days.... I don't have a clue the number of days left, but we are certainly not in the early or first days.

Like the snow, it may be here an hour, a day, a week, but it will not last forever.  The sun will come and the snow will melt and evaporate, somewhat like the earth.  Yet like the snow, I find it peaceful knowing it is here for the moment and rather than worrying about tomorrow, I shall enjoy it today; knowing that ahead lies what Joel and Paul knew, that "I [GOD] will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth,...".  What a day that will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment