Sunday, March 6, 2011

The End of the Age

We have three, what I consider to be, exception children; all of which shall eclipse their parents in ways too numerous to count.  May I share with you as minute slice of how wonderful God has designed them and the processes they are in; our son is getting his PhD in Astrophysics.  He thinks, talks, teaches and works on things beyond our galaxy. My wife and I look at each other in wonder, knowing that he probably didn't get this from either of us and it had to be an extra touch from Heaven.  I have often suggested he discover the "warp drive" that would give all Star Trek fans hope for the future.  He smiles at his father.


Hubble Photo of the Eagle Nebula
There are certain mysteries that the universe has, man will always pursue; and, not to disappoint them, there are many mysteries which they will never understand or their explanations they theorize shall fall short of the truth.  Though this will not dissuade them, which I am grateful, their theories require more "faith" than I could find.  There is neither a tree of all knowledge that is available nor should we ever be so contemptuous to not believe that God's design and  His creation of the universe is fathomless and beyond our grasp as mere mortals.

There are many Christians that follow the notion that they can hasten the end of the age and bring back Jesus by making sure that everyone on the planet has had a chance to hear the gospel; a notion of which I respect, but can't quite agree with.  I see this as only difference of opinion on a minor theological interpretation.  This is the text of Scripture that they hang the task of worldwide evangelism on.

"As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"
Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.

"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."  Matthew 24:3-14 NIV

First of all I am on record that I believe every word of this statement by Jesus Christ regarding the end of the age.  Some people have said that the rise in earthquakes, unrest in the world, and other markers are ushering in the end times.  Frankly speaking, to me it doesn't matter if it is or not; I am and will live my life as if He can and will return at any moment (regardless and in spite of any "predictions").


What I question is not Christ's teaching to His disciples and thus to the entire world, but the notion of man's total responsibility for bringing about the results and therefore the end of the world as we know it.  Should this notion be true, it puts the return of Christ, which will happen, on the backs and responsibility of man and not on God's sovereign knowledge and timing.  I remain in the camp that we should endeavor to be about the Father's business and share the Gospel; as we are doing this, whether I live to see it or not, the Father will again send the Son back for His bride, the Church [this includes the living and dead follower of God's Son]. The commission and power that Jesus gave was this: 
 

"Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matt 28:18-20 NIV

Please do not get me wrong, I applaud and support the work that is being done by every true follower of Christ to reach out to the lost wherever they may be found in every nation, people group and tribe and I also believe that God grants supernatural power to accomplish His love of mankind.  It is not God's desire that any man, woman or child not choose to love Him, but for this, He has given a choice.  


The end of this world as we know it is true and yet I don't know or understand how all the events will unfold, Christ's roll-out of the future is sure:
Matthew 24:30-31 NIV


For now, I am content to follow King Solomon's wisdom:
"Nothing is better for a man than that he should eat and drink, and that his soul should enjoy good in his labor. This also, I saw, was from the hand of God." Eccl 2:24-25 NKJV  

Our twin daughters
One daughter brought me a wonderful apple pie made from scratch by her; we ate last night and enjoyed the company of good friends.  My other daughter travels through Israel; experiencing things for the first and second time.  My wonderful wife prepared a feast with friends and today I go to worship the King Almighty and hear of His great love for me and forgiveness that I so desperately need and before I leave the building, I shall join with God in communion at His table.  Yet, an hour scarcely passes that I do not consider the remaining lost of this world and I pursue the opportunities that unfold before me.  For I breath and live at His pleasure and when I draw my last air, my pleasure will be to be in His presence for all eternity.
 












No comments:

Post a Comment