Sunday, March 27, 2011

Crazy Times and the World Seems to be Crashing

We are living in crazy times and the world seems to be crashing on many fronts, politically, financially, environmentally, morally, and spiritually.  Fear, greed, poverty, wealth, oppression, power, hate, lust, addictions, jealousy, sickness, and unrest are just a few of the drivers, not to mention natural events.  Many seem to want to hide from it all as unrest surrounds us in the news and discussions.   As bad as it seems, it's going to get worse.  I'm not a dooms-day type person.  I only know it will; the book of Revelation says so, and I believe it all to be true.

"Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. They called to the mountains and the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?"  Revelation 6:15-17 NIV




This picture may be how you are feeling right now; ready to be crushed beneath the giant rock.  "I can't keep holding this thing up for much longer!!!"  The reality is that we have so little power over anything.  We pretend that we are in control, but we control so very little.  Today, a sweet Japanese young woman spoke telling how she was wondering the streets of a town they had just moved to when a woman approached her to tell her of a nearby church where she could learn English.  With her mother's encouragement she attended and later, as she told it, the Holy Spirit moved her even though she didn't understand all the words that were spoken of Jesus' love for her.  Oh, the pain and suffering in Japan; though this woman's family and friends are "safe", she says they don't yet know the peace that she has in Jesus Christ.  I cried listening to her thank us for praying as she knows, she said, that our prayers change things in Japan.  This is faith that I wish everyone who heard her would embrace.


Over and over I see it, read about it, and have experienced it; though you don't have all the answers, faith in the one true God, is enough to sustain the weight of the crushing world around us.
My two best friends (other than Jesus & my wonderful wife)
It may be a crazy time in the world and in your life, but going though the tough stuff in life is easier when you have friends to help carry you, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.  Even distance does not stop prayer, cards, calls, and words of encouragement or an ear to listen when all seems lost.  I've found crying together is better than crying alone as a friend leans in to hand you a tissue and lift your spirit.  Even when my friends are miles away, I am never without Jesus.  My closest friend on earth is my gracious loving wife.  She is my greatest cheerleader, supporter, critic and so much more; I need all these gifts from her and the love she shows me every day is really unfathomable.  I know that God crafted her with me in mind.  


My friends have also been crafted, but in a different way.  I just know that when I need them, they will be there in anyway they can be.  I have often commented that you should be able to name your pallbearers while you are still alive; those men that will carry you even when you are alive.  These two guys would be leading the pack and I know I have a number of others that would grab a handle when called on.  I am very thankful for them all.


So, in this messed up world, get your life squared away by living like Jim Elliot said long before he was speared to death trying to share Christ's love,

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

Elliot's peace and purpose was placed in something greater than what the world has to offer; it was placed in Christ and real hope that conquers the fears that come our way, even the fear of death.  Once you get this part of your life squared away by asking Christ to be your master, then and only then, can you love your neighbor more than yourself.  When you do that, it doesn't matter if the world is circling the drain; you are given peace that is from the creator of the world with confidence that what He has made, He is in control of.

Jesus is speaking,
"But when the Father sends the Counselor as my representative — and by the Counselor I mean the Holy Spirit — he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I myself have told you.  I am leaving you with a gift — peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid. Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again." John 14:26-28 NLT








1 comment:

  1. "No eye has seen...." So thankful for the sure hope in Christ!

    ReplyDelete