Friday, January 21, 2011

Character vs. Reputation

My brother came to stay with us for a couple of nights so he could attend the funeral of a dear friend who is now in Heaven.  It is always good to be with him as he lives out of state and our visits are infrequent.  This particular time was special as we are older, wiser and deeper with each passing year.  We talked about our respective families and friends and the paths that God seems to be leading us.  We also reminisced about our earlier years.  
My brother in his band uniform, years ago!
 I am not alone in that I have done things that negatively impacted my character and at times, even my reputation.  Isn't that why going back to your 10-year and 20-year high school reunion is often the last thing you want to do?  What you were back then, before you finished growing up, reflected more of your reputation and for many, reputation was more important then their character.  How you turned out in those years after high school may or may not have been what you envisioned.  Your job, your marriage, your kids....  are different than you thought they would be; for me, my life has been blessed beyond what I ever dreamed of or imagined.  I attribute that to two things: my relationship with Christ and my wonderful wife.
Her innocence just before she met me.
Character is not what people think of you; that's your reputation.  Character is what you think, do, and say when no body is looking.  What you do when you are in front of people may show your character, but because we are guarding our reputation or our image; we are on a stage and our actions are a performance.  Our character affects our decisions; our character affects our actions in private; our character may have a 'blind spot' to us and our character may have real problems that is evident to the world.  We may want to change those problems, work at them, get counseling for them, or even prayed, but it still hasn't changed.  Andy Stanley once said, "Prayer is not the solution to problems in your character"; a renewed mind is, utilizing the specific truths in God's Word and your effort to apply them every day.  [later my paraphrase]

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness ; and to brotherly kindness , love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:5-9 NIV [emphasis mine]

BUT, at the end of the day, being 'good' isn't what gets us into Heaven, (that discussion is for another day).  My brother quoted a friend of his, Kip, and I will try and be as accurate as I can.  "Even a worthless man is useful; it shows me what not to be."  [forgive me Kip if I've butchered that]  Each of us have value, but just take a moment and think about right here, right now... think about if you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and follow Him daily... why?  (is it for knowing Him here and know and following His modeling and teaching with great passion or is it for what lies ahead after you die here on earth?)  (If you don't have a relationship with Jesus Christ, let's discuss that).


Our character, which includes that relationship, determines everything.  The relationship with Christ is not an add on like a new case for your phone or iPad, it lies at the core of who and what we are.  I'm so very glad that I am not the judge of people; I have enough trouble just walking the straight and narrow for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment