Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Disconnect in the World

Tomorrow is Easter and I'm ready for the joyous celebration!  Glory in the Highest, HE IS RISEN.  I'm on a river in Holland headed for God's creation of flowers and in the process seeing a number of man's attempts of drawing attention to himself.  From man's perspective, there are beautiful buildings, glamorous gardens, magnificent statues, unbelievable works of art and don't forget the Belgium waffle and Belgium chocolate.  I have seen the latter in forms that you would blush around your children.  It was interesting that the most recognized statue in Brussels is Mannikin Pis, a little boy urinating.  But the little ducklings just out for their first swim and the swan plucking out its own down to prepare the nest of two of her eggs; now there is life and beauty that man has yet to match.


Europeans know how to celebrate Easter; not just in their days off, but they decorate everything and prepare for the economic ring of the cash register, then close EVERYTHING on Easter.  We have seen homes and hotels decorated in every window with eggs, bunnies, and everything that is far from HOLY.  I'm sure that I probably missed the holy preparation for Easter, but the churches I've walked in are beautiful, ornate, hallow, empty and missing the Spirit of the Risen One.


I was watching a video called Easter, the Promise Kept this morning as the ship we are aboard has nothing scheduled for the most influential day of history, the day that hope, forgiveness, and when death was conquered by Christ's resurrection.  The ship's staff were more than happy, they put it on a TV for us and then to my surprise, to announce a viewing.  What surprised me even more is they asked if they could keep it and run it on Easter at 3:30 when most of the entire ship's guests would be on board; not just on the lounge, but available in every room of the ship!  Praise the Lord alone for opening hearts and saving souls.


In considering the movie, I was struck by this passage later in my reading: 
“Watch out! Don’t let your hearts be dulled by carousing and drunkenness, and by the worries of this life. Don’t let that day catch you unaware, like a trap. For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep alert at all times. And pray that you might be strong enough to escape these coming horrors and stand before the Son of Man.”   Luke 21:34-36  NLT


I understand the part about not letting your heart be dulled by carousing and drunkenness, BUT what about "the worries of this life"?  There are times I am so guilty about letting my heart be dulled by "the worries of this life".  It is good to get away and take a look from a distance of your own life and what it is filled with.  It is easy for me to see the disconnect of the world when I see how God has been put in his place.... no let me rephrase that, see how people have forgotten about God and all that He has done by being dulled by "the worries of this life".  I look at my life and I can momentarily have my mind crammed full of the world and only because of my love of Christ and that my chains He has broken to set me free, do I quickly come back to Him.


Generations here in Europe have had their hearts dulled by the carousing and drunkenness and the worries of this life; America isn't far behind them as I see what they/we are doing and the change that is occurring.  The disconnect in the world has come because we have not listened to some of Christ's last words as He spoke to the people of Jerusalem.  


Look at Jesus' words again: "Don’t let that day catch you unaware, like a trap. For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. Keep alert at all times. And pray that you might be strong enough to escape these coming horrors and stand before the Son of Man.”  


I pray that I might be strong enough to escape these coming horrors and stand before the Son of Man.  I pray that for you as well.  Celebrate Easter as the first Christians did, in gratitude, joy, humility, and the hope that He has promised.  He is Risen....He is Risen INDEED!  

No comments:

Post a Comment