Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Part of a Different Dimension

Last night, I pondered the things of the universe like the number and names of the billions of stars and the placement and shape of each grain of sand; more importantly, I pondered the God who created it all and holds it all together. He alone knows each of the names of the stars and each particle of sand on the shore.  Lofty thoughts for a simple man, but experiencing God in a close relationship is so much more than simple knowledge.
Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach
To explain that statement let me share a few excerpts from Henry & Melvin Blackaby's book, Experiencing the Resurrection, lest you think I am alone in my passion.  In today's society, as in the time of Christ, the question is the same, "what is Truth?"  The pendulum continues to swing down through the millennia of the degree of which there is absolute Truth.  However, I share the same position as the Blackabys on this point, "The key is not to "discover" truth, but to come with an open heart, into which the Holy Spirit will reveal truth. And that truth will set you free."

The pursuit of knowledge is rampant in our world with a belief that knowledge is power.  Though it may provide for a position of power among those that have less knowledge, it is not real power.  This search for knowledge is a religion all its own and is no more than simple gnosticism of 2000 years ago.

On the other hand, those that desire absolute Truth come empty handed except for their open heart and desire to yield all that this life has in exchange for the treasure of God.  Through the Holy Spirit, God reveals Truth that is to be experienced by daily living.... these that seek God's Truth are the souls that tap into the ultimate renewable power source. 


Unfortunately, the vast amount of Christians, at least those in  western culture that I have witnessed, are living a life with only a fringe of the vastness of experiencing Christ; they never venture beyond simple knowing about Him, believing Who He is ( but even the demons do that).  Until we embrace Him and the power, placement, and potential that He want's to (and has) bestowed on Christ followers, we are like runners in the race that never move their legs; we are in the race, just not doing anything or going anywhere.


Wind battered Tree at the Coast
The Blackabys pen, "When you become a Christian [Christ follower, more than just a label], you're set in a wholly different dimension in which you can see what others don't see.  As Jesus told His disciples, "It has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kindom of heaven, but to them it has not been given" (Matthew 13:11)." [clarification mine]


Allow me to paraphrase, from their book, a nugget and expand from their next thought. Since we, who want to be more than religious activity doers, we must use what God has given us through Christ, through His death on the cross, and through the power and hope of His resurrection.  It is then that we have the capacity to detect and participate in the activities of God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit in another dimension: His Kingdom here on earth.  If we are experiencing less than this, we are simply like the world, ignoring God until we need Him to help us; save us from another problem; or how religious 'christians' most normally pray: give me, give me, bless me, bless me, help me, help me... until I need you later.  My God is more than a geni in a lantern waiting to be rubbed.  He is a God who made everything and yet He wants to have a relationship with you and me.  Why does God, Who is so big and incredible, want us?  Because He loves us and wants us to love Him.


This is what this God communicates to us:
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.  From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.  God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us." Acts 17:24-27 NIV
 
"you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:12-13 NIV











No comments:

Post a Comment